GIREP LOGO TEACHING THE SCIENCE OF CONDENSED MATTER AND NEW MATERIALS

GIREP95 Physics Dept. Udine University GIREP




Social Programme


Udine

Udine lies in the heart of Friuli and it developed in medieval times from a primitive group settled on the hill. One of the most ancient buildings is the church dedicated to St. Mary of the Castle, judging from extant fragments dating back to the Lombard era, when no town yet existed, but only a village of humble dwellings. Below the hill the New Market Square shows the period of economical development of the city during the Government of the Patriarchs of Aquileia (1077-1420). In all the squares and buildings in Venetian-style, you can see the domination of the "Serenissima". Another attraction of Udine are the museums which show the whole history of the city and the region.


WEDNESDAY 23 August 1995

Palazzo Florio

17.00 Welcome to the participants of the Congress in Palazzo Florio, seat of the University Rectorate in Udine. Registration. Reception.

Palazzo Florio

The first "artistical meeting" with the city is Palazzo Florio, which is the seat of the University Rectorate in Udine.
The construction of the building began in 1763 commissioned by the Florio family, who settled in Friuli in the 15th century.
In 1790 the Florios had the St. Lucia tower demolished because it prevented the new residence from opening onto the street.
This building hosted in 1797 the Austrian delegation led by the plenipotentiary Count of Coblenz, who signed the Treaty of Campoformido with Napoleon.


THURSDAY 24 August 1995

08.30 Opening Ceremony in the Parliament Hall in Udine Castle.

Udine Castle stands on a hill which dates back to the Glacial Period and under the Romans it was probably a watchtower.
The town of Udine was officially born in 983 with an Act by Ottonne II but we know that the castle already existed under Liutprando (712-744). Since the Patriarchate of Aquileia had chosen Udine as its seat (in 1222 under Bertoldo of Andechs) the castle underwent many enlargements and reconstructions. By 1232 it was able to host Federico II and his court.
The walls surrounding the castle, originally at the feet of the hill, were enlarged in four different occasions. The last walls to be built include the present old town. The Patriarchate's old coat of arms consists of a one-headed eagle called the Marquardo Eagle, one of the last patriarchs. The Patriarchate lasted a long time but internal wars and conflicts with Venice and the Empire caused its complete fall. Udine and the entire Friuli passed under the Republic of Venice in 1420.
In 1511 a large earthquake completely destroyed the castle. A plague that lasted four months killed 10,000 people in Udine only, two conquests of Udine by the Empire and the subsequent reconquests by Venice were great tragedies that ended only in 1516.
The reconstruction of the castle from the drawings of Giovanni Fontana, tutor of Palladio, took place during the years 1517-1560 and notwithstanding successive alteration until 1600, the present building reflests exactly the original plans.
Nowadays the castle, symbol of the city, is owned by the City Hall and is the seat of the Museo Civico, Museo del Risorgimento and of the Galleria d'Arte Antica. The prestigious "Sala Principale" was the hall used until the fall of the Republic of Venice for the sessions of the Friuli Parliament.


THURSDAY 24 August 1995 TUESDAY 29 August 1995

photo

20.30 Visit to the "Casa del Vino" of ERSA
Tasting of typical vines

ERSA is the regional authority for the promotion and the development of the agriculture in Friuli Venezia Giulia and particularly it seeks to promote its products. In Friuli Venezia Giulia there is a big variety of agricultural and food products like asparagus, kiwi fruit, potatoes, chestnuts, apples, peaches, smoked trout. The famous products of the agriculture production are wine, Montasio cheese, San Daniele ham, grappa and gubana.

The "Casa del Vino" is situated in Palazzo Moroldi, a sixteenth century building transformed into an ideal place which symbolizes grape-growing in Friuli Venezia Giulia, an essential reference-point for those who intend to have a complete knowledge of the main wine productions of this land.
The heart of the "Casa del Vino" is of course an exposition well supplied by the whole Friuli Venezia Giulia wine production: in a wonderful hall with a lacunar ceiling there are hundreds of bottles of all Friuli's firms on view. Their variety gives the visitor a first idea of the complexity and the importance that this sector has in Friuli Venezia Giulia.

Those who wish to visit the "Casa del Vino" are kindly requested to make reservation c/o the Conference Secretariat before 17.00 of 24 August. The maximum capacity of "Casa del Vino" is 75 persons.


SATURDAY 26 August 1995

photo

14.30 A guided trip to the heart of Friuli
Departure from Rizzi University campus

Starting from Udine and driving northwards we come rapidly in view of the hilly area, dotted with prehistoric strongholds, impressive castles, towers and remains of fortifications dating back to the time of the Romans or of the early Middle Ages. Our Route will take us to the majestic Castle of Colloredo di Monte Albano, the Castle of Villalta, one of the most evocative and best preserved and then to the castle of Cassacco, which is among the most ancient ones.
Turning eastwards after a few miles we get into the ancient "Forum Julii" of the Romans (50 B.C.), that became the Capital of the first Duchy of the Italian Kingdom of the Lombards at the end of the VI century. One century later the city was the site of the Patriarch of Aquileia and continued to be a cultural centre during the Middle Ages, when it was re-named "Civitas Austriae". Nowadays Cividale is proud of its illustrious past and keeps good watch of the enchanting gifts left within its premises by the centuries that have enobled it.

photo


SATURDAY 26 August 1995

The National Archaeological Museum, located in the "Palazzo dei Provveditori Veneti" ascribed to Andrea Palladio, houses among other things the Lombard jewellery. The "Oratorio di Santa Maria in Valle" of the VIII century, also known as the Lombard Temple, the Christian Museum with the astonishing altar of the duke Ratchis and the Devil's bridge with its legends are only some of the sites of an unforgettable visit.

Please note: the contribution of Lit. 22,000 per person to the expenses of the trip must be paid c/o the Conference Secretariat before 11.00 of 25 August.

photo photo

Fibula
The Longobard's women often adorned their dresses with a couple of fibulas that were used to close the dresses and embelish them. These fibulas could have the shape of an arch, of a "S" or of a disk.
The fibulas on this page were discovered together with bracelets leather belts and combs il Longobard tombs of Cividale del Friuli.
These objects were finely forged by warriors who, as a second noble activity, worked as goldsmiths.
It is probable that the goldsmiths belonged to a category of itinerant craftsman warriors.
All this demonstrates that the goldsmith's art was important for the Longobards - a people originating in Central Europe - who invaded Italy in 568 A.C.

Pictures by: S.Morettin - S.Cattarossi (Scuola Media Bellavitis, Udine)

SOCIAL DINNER

Menù
Rice "au champagne"
Zucchini crepes
Lasagne with porcini mushrooms
Veal shin with fine herbs
Roasted potatoes
Fennels "au gratin"
Sweets tray
Coffee


SUNDAY 27 August 1995

photo

SCIENTIFIC EXCURSION Visit to Elettra Synchrotron and LIS in Trieste
08.00 - 13.00 Departure from Bus stops A, B, C, D, E at 08.00 sharp!

The scientific part of the excursion will end around 13.00.
Afterwards all the participants will be kindly invited to taste some typical delicacies of Friuli at Vallès vineyard.
A guided walk around the city of Udine will close the day.

Trieste
Trieste is situated at the head of a beatiful bay. On the hill of San Giusto, the Basilica Civile Romana, the castle and the cathedral testify to its roman and medieval past. Trieste is valued for its Habsburg and cosmopolitan heritage. Together with its Neoclassical and Liberty buildings there are also churches of rare beauty representing different religions. The Revoltella museumis noted for its collection of works from the nineteenth and twentieth centuries. The view of the city from Piazza Unità gives a good sense of the unique position of Trieste between the mountains and the sea. A walk around Trieste tends to include a visit to one of the characteristic cafes such as the Caffé San Marco or the Caffé degli specchi, frequented by famous writers at the end of the last century.

The participants are kindly invited to confirm their participation and to obtain their tickets c/o the Conference Secretariat before 11.00 a.m. of 25 August.


SUNDAY 27 August 1995

photo

14.30 Visit to wine producer "Aziende Vitivinicole VALLE"

Aziende vitivinicole Valle
At Buttrio visitors can taste wines produced by Mr. Valle in the two estates "La vigna di Rosazzo" and "La vigna di Ruttars" at Dolegna del Collio.
In this occasion Mr. Valle will present DOC Colli Orientali del Friuli wines like Pinot Grigio, Sauvignon and Riesling Renano which belong to a heraldic selection and which are produce at "La vigna di Rosazzo".
From the "La vigna di Ruttars" production guests can taste DOC Collio wines like Pinot Grigio, Sauvignon and Chardonnay. The production of Valle's vineyards includes also Araldo, a blend of red grapes refined in barriques and oak barrels for a period of three years.
The wine will be accompanied by the famous S.Daniele prosciutto (raw ham) offered by the S.Daniele Prosciutto Consortium, Montasio cheese offered by the Montasio Cheese Consortium, roast of piglet, speck, speck (smoked raw ham) and wurstel from Morgante sausage and salami factory in Romans d'Isonzo. The dessert will be offered by the well known Giuditta Teresa firm, producer of the famous "gubana" typical of natisone Valley.
To the welcomed guests the Mancini brothers, landlords of the "Osteria Al Vecchio Stallo", will offer a tasty soup of barley and beans, a sample of traditional "poo" Friulana dish.

photo

Wine
The grapewine cultivation is wide-spread in the entire Friuli - Venezia Giulia except for the mountainous areas and the foothills. The wines which have become famous during its history are usually granted an official Certification of Origin. The areas in the Friuli Venezia Giulia region which produce wines with a Certification of Origin are the Collio, Colli Orientali, Aquileia, Isonzo, Latisana, Carso and Grave del Friuli.
The white wines produced in the region are: Tocai friulano, Pinot Bianco, Pinot Grigio, Verduzzo Friulano, Sauvignon, Riesling Italico and Renano, Traminer, Malvasia Istriano, Ribolla, Chardonnay and the mytical Picolit. The red wines produced are: Merlot, Cabernet Franc and sauvignon, Refosco dal Peduncolo, Pinot Nero and Terrano.

photo

Montasio Cheese
The production of this cheese began on the Montasio highlands in the Upper Carnia mountains but then spread to the surrounding valleys. Now the productions of this cheese takes place in the foothills and in the plains of the region.
The main factor which distinguishes Montasio is the use of a gentle production methods, without extreme heat treatment or chemical additives. The high-quality process requires milk with special properties, wich is strictly controlled before being used.
After 60 days of ageing Montasio is ready to be served on the table. At this moment Montasio is a compact cheese with a natural light straw color. After 4-6 months of ageing a series of complex maturation processes have given Montasio the dietary qualities of a fine aged cheese, and the taste of milk has now developed into a true cheesy flavor.
At 12 months, Montasio is a robust grating cheese, and the natural decrease in water content has made it a concentrated food, rich in high-quality nutrients.

photo photo

San Daniele ham
San Daniele ham has become one of the most important agricultural products of the Friuli Venezia Giulia. Its particular taste is due to the position of this village on a hill at the same distance from the sea and the mountains. The alternating currents of dry and humid air create a unique climate which asserts a sort of "massage" effect on the meats produced in the area. The techniques used in the production of San Daniele ham have not been subjected to any significant changes since the Middle Ages, except for the technological advancements required for processing over 1,500,000 aged hams per year.
San Daniele ham doesn't need to be cooked before it is eaten because the salting and ageing process guarantees complete sterilization of any microorganism which may be present in the raw pork. The connoisseurs suggest that this ham is best tasted accompanied by a glass of Tocai or light Sauvignon wine.

Gubana of the Natisone Valley
The gubana is a typical dessert of Cividale and the Natisone Valley. The origins of this famous Friulian cake have been lost over time, even though the first evidence dates back to Cividale in 1576. Is is a cake made from a dough which is rolled into a spiral shape, and the dough also serves as a shell for a tasty filling. Its components are pine nuts, raisins, almonds, walnuts, hazelnuts, sugar, butter, eggs and a cocktail of grappa, rhum and marsala cream liquor. Friulian white wines are ideally accompanied by gubana.


SUNDAY 27 August 1995

photo

17.00 A guided walking tour through the city of UDINE

From the castle hill we walk down into the medieval heart-shaped centre of the town, through squares and streets busy with people, rich in inopiring palaces, that speak in their architecture of markets and fairs. The splendid "Piazza Libertà" becomes the witness of the centuries and on its stage the historical memories of its past are displayed. One of the most beautiful buildings in Venetian Gothic of the mainland, the "Loggia del Lionello", points out the outstanding art of the goldsmith, who made this project. The "Loggia di San Giovanni" stands opposite, telling the passer-by of the growing of the premises as in a palimpsest the passing of time and styles from the XIV to the XIX century. Outside the church on the left-hand sidethe "Oratorio della Purità" keeps the astonishing fresco of the "Assunta", the masterpiece of Giambattista Tiepolo, one of the greatest painters of the XVIII century in Europe. Towards the end of our tour the eye rests on the glittering windows of beautiful shops of any kind. Considered one of the elegant towns in the north of Italy, Udine is an interesting place, with a flourishing commerce, recommended restaurants and lively cafes.

Our tours will be lead by the guides of the Association Authorized Touristic Guides of Friuli Venezia Giulia.
Tucked away in the north-eastern corner of Italy, Friuli-Venezia Giulia has been defined "a little Compendium of the Universe" for its amazingly varied landscap. From the brim of the blue and the startling glaciers in the Alps odwnwards to enchanting lakes, woodlands and forests of somber beauty, till southwards to sunny shores and quivering lagoons this region of Italy entices the tourinst with its potential for continuous and new discoveries. In addition to this a complete route-net of interest for both the historiar and the wayfarer highlights the vocation of this area to become"A class-room in the Open-Air". With this name the Association Authorized Touristic Guides of Friuli Venezia Giulia - ITINERARIA Antiqua et Nova - has the honour to present this secluded part of Italy, rich in Nature, History and Art, quickly developing between a historical pas and a challenging future.


MONDAY 28 August 1995

photo

21.30 Concert of the chorus of the University of Udine in the church of San Cristoforo
Director Walter Themel

O. Di Lasso - 2 villanelle
- S'io ti vedessi
- Matona mia cara

O. Vecchi - So ben chi mi ha bon tempo

F. Mainerio - La puttamora (ballo)
Scjaracule, maracjole (ballo)

C. Monteverdi - Scherzi musicali 1607
con 2 violini e b.c.
violini: Nicola Mansutti, Gilda Urli
violoncello: Mara Grion

J. Brahms - "Die Wollust in den Maien"
- "Schnitter Tod"
C. Saint-Saens - "Ave verum" - mottetto
F. Schubert - "Salve Regina"

Popolare - Rapsodia friulana
- "Al è gnot"
- "La Valcjalda"
A. Zardini - Stelutis Alpinis

photo

Thanks to Anna Pellegrino for the organization

GIREP95 Physics Dept. Udine University GIREP